This sumptuous Italian dessert may be simple to make, but it looks stunning when presented as the final course of a Christmas meal.
We have used our beautiful handmade copper cookware to create this creamy zabaione, as the particular properties of copper are perfect for making both savoury and sweet dishes. The control that copper has over heat distribution is ideal for sugar-based cooking, as mixtures are less likely to heat unevenly and burn.
Wintry zabaione with seasonal fruits
- 8 yolks from medium free-range eggs, organic if possible
- Seeds of one vanilla pod, freshly scraped and organic if possible
- 130g of golden caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 100ml of sweet wine (Vin Santo, Moscato D’Asti or Brachett D’Acqui, for example)
- 6 heaped tablespoons of raspberry jam
- A handful of blackberries
- A few sprigs of mint leaves
- One large mixing bowl
- One metal whisk
- Large copper saucepan (such as one from our copper range)
- 6 wine or otherwise decorative glasses
- In a large mixing bowl (perhaps a copper one if you like the style), combine the yolks of 8 medium free-range eggs, the seeds of one vanilla pod (freshly scraped and discarded), 130g of golden caster sugar and a little pinch of salt for flavour.
- Using an electric hand whisk, roughly whip up the egg and sugar mixture.
- Gently pour the mixture into in a large copper saucepan, over a moderate to low heat.
- Whisk the contents of the pan for a good fifteen minutes. When the mixture is thick, glossy and voluminous, prepare to add the wine. The mixure will likely be three times its original size.
- Stir evenly and add the wine in a steady stream. Once it has all been added and combined with the mixture, take the copper saucepan off the heat.
- Continue to whisk the dessert for a few extra minutes until it has cooled a little.
- Put the copper saucepan aside and distribute the jam evenly between the glasses, tossing in a few blackberries on top.
- Pour the mixture into the glasses on top of the jam and berries, distributing the mixture evenly between them.
- Garnish with a spring of mint and admire your handiwork!
This recipe is certain to impress, and it is incredibly simple to make when using one of our gorgeous copper pots. Browse our selection of pots here and add zabaione to your culinary repertoire.